FRZH
 

The Empress’ Chinese Museum (1863)

Both famous and fabulous in equal measure, the Chinese Museum and rooms built to Eugenie’s specifications in 1863 housed her collection of Far-Eastern treasures. Some of these came from the imperial furniture depository (mainly revolutionary plunder), while others were acquisitions made by Napoleon III and Eugenie from the Sack of the Summer Palace in Peking by the Franco-British soldiers in 1860. The collection also included diplomatic gifts from the Ambassador of Siam who visited Fontainebleau in 1861.

Press | Sponsorship | Locations | Tourism professionals